Sunday, July 06, 2008

Double Pink Soapwort

Double Pink Soapwort
Saponaria officinalis 'Rosea Plena'
(sap-oh-NAIR-ee-uh) (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-liss)
Synonyms: Bouncing Bet, Goodbye Summer

This is the first time I remember seeing Double Soapwort. The regular single Soapwort has been a nice plant to grow in rock gardens for me. It seems to like its soil very well drained and doesn’t take too much water. It will often grow under tough conditions and can accept a little shade. You can make soap from this plant and there have been some medicinal uses over the years.

Here are a couple more Daylilies. I tried to keep the names straight but might have got a little mixed up with the macro. It was difficult when there were 20 or 30 yellow types blooming. Some only had a very subtle shading as a difference. The first picture I know is Hemerocallis 'Buttered Popcorn'. From what I read about the plant it is an easy to grow, reblooming, hybrid. It was introduced by Benzinger in 1971.

2 comments:

Priscilla George said...

I have never seen double soapwort before. That is such a lovely coloring. I have a hard time keeping daylilies straight too. There are such slight variences and some times it's just the way they act like how many buds etc that make them different. I think your daylily photos are wonderful. You capture them very well in my opinion. Sorry I haven't been commenting but I have been reading on my google reader.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks, VL.