Thursday, July 19, 2007

'Oregold' Hybrid Tea Rose



'Oregold' Hybrid Tea Rose
Synonyms: TANolg, Miss Harp, Silhouette, Anneliesse Rothenberger

This rose blooms best during the cool weather though it was chugging along last week with a couple of flowers last week. It is good performer though seems a bit tender as I have had to replace it twice after the winter. I don't do a lot for winter protection for my roses and usually have a couple of losses after the winter. I think this because most of these roses are rated for USDA Zone 7 and my gardens are on the edge of 6 and 7. 'Oregold' has a mild fragrance and a petal count of 25-30. Its parentage is 'Piccadilly' × 'Colour Wonder' and has a good pedigree with 'Peace', 'Tropicana' and 'Crimson Glory' roses in its lineage. Bred in Germany it won the AARS Award in 1975.

I think I have said before that I have really warmed up to yellow flowers over the course of my career. Some of them are amongst my favorites now. Who would have thought that. Yesterday’s Wordless Wednesday featured a couple of nice yellow flowers and I thought I would carry it on today. Yellow roses symbolize friendship and caring according to Rose Meanings Explained.

Since I have heard the phrase “Yellow Rose of Texas’ hundreds of times I decided to look up just who or what that meant. Everybody out there probably knew already that it is a song and here is a snip of an article:

"The Yellow Rose of Texas" is a song about how a slave named Emily Morgan helped win the battle of San Jacinto, the decisive battle in the Texas Revolution, on April 21, 1836. According to legend, Emily was a mulatto slave owned by Col. James Morgan, of New Washington, Texas, who was kidnapped by soldiers under the orders of Mexican general Antonio López de Santa Anna. She was reportedly brought to Santa Anna's tent, where she entertained him sexually throughout the day of the battle. The distracted general supposedly failed to put his troops on alert, and when the battle began, the Texans caught the Mexicans by surprise. In fact, however, "Emily Morgan" was a free-born black woman named Emily D. West, who worked as a housekeeper at the New Washington Association's hotel. No evidence supports the story of a tryst with Santa Anna.

One of the earliest versions of "The Yellow Rose of Texas" dates back to the first administration of Sam Houston, who became president of the Republic of Texas in 1836. A handwritten manuscript of the song, now in the A. Henry Moss Papers in the Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin, was allegedly delivered to one E. A. Jones.”


Read the rest here:
Handbook of Texas Online



This second rose is the Hybrid Tea ‘Sunny Delight’. I really don’t know too much about this rose as I took this picture at a nursery. I took the picture with the idea that I would look it up when I got home because I only want to buy disease resistant roses at this point but I couldn’t find much information on it. It looked pretty though with a big flower and delicate shading.

No comments: