Sunday, July 29, 2007

Spice Island Foxglove


Foxglove
Digitalis ‘Spice Island’

This Foxglove probably isn’t new to anyone else but me but this was the first time I had seen it. It was obviously re-blooming because I could see the stalks that had been cut off earlier. The color is nice, a little strange but agreeable. The couple of references I found on the net said it was a perennial but only time will tell that. Basically I will believe that when I see it. I did notice the price was almost twice as much as the ‘regular’ Foxglove. I wish I had looked at the foliage closer as the websites I visited said the foliage is ‘felt-like’ and ‘evergreen’. I think this one is going to have to be tried out to get some first hand observation of the characteristics. This is the best thing I found on ‘Spice Island’:
“A new evergreen foxglove that just doesn't know when to stop blooming! Unique and stunning peachy-yellow flowers are lightly dusted inside with nutmeg. They bloom on numerous densely-packed spikes which branch from the base of the plant, providing continuous color from summer into fall.”
Big Dipper Farm (scroll down to see 'Spice Island')
It looks like a really cool nursery and website.

Foxglove is such a classic garden plant that I always get requests for. The only thing is that I don’t like planting a lot of biennials in people’s gardens, as they need to be replanted. They generally don’t seed since we use mulch on almost everything. I just make sure they know that they require a bit more interactive gardening then standard perennials and that if they have a wonderful show of Foxglove one year they may not have any the following year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the flower is some thing different
its shape and also the color