Sunday, November 02, 2008

Jack London State Park Part 2


Jack London State Park Part 2
Glen Ellen, California

Here are a few more pictures of Jack London State Park. The first was a walkway in the farm area out to the Vineyard. Man, I really felt like I was out West when I snapped this one. That is Sonoma Mountain in the background.

The close ups of this flower didn’t really come out so I am posting this ‘whole’ shot. Almost everywhere we went there was some Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha) blooming. The flowers are actually white and the velvety purple parts are calyces. This plant is hardy to around 0 deg. F, although some people say 10 deg F is a better bet. The Ruby Throated Hummingbirds were visiting this plant as I sat on a bench next to it. That was a beautiful and mighty Oak Tree in the background.


This third shot is a species of Canna lily (I think). This was the view from the garden by the cottage.


“All the leaves are brown

And the sky is gray

I've been for a walk

On a winter's day

I'd be safe and warm

If I was in L.A.

California dreamin'

On such a winter's day”

John and Michelle Phillips

Back to my mountain of paperwork. Soon I will have to give up gardening and just do paperwork all day. It isn’t quite that bad yet, thankfully, because the day that happens I am going to look into doing something else.

No comments: