Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Floribunda Rose ‘Molly McGredy’

Floribunda Rose ‘Molly McGredy
Synonyms: MACmo

Since I got reviewed in the award-winning San Diego Rose Society’s newsletter ‘Rose Ramblings’ I thought I would post a rose photograph. Plus, Misti, a cool blogger from Florida asked me to keep posting some roses here we go. This is possibly the most interesting rose I saw all summer. There were about 40 plants in various stages of blooming and I found them all amazing. More than a novelty, the colors were gorgeous and fit tighter perfectly. The bush itself was stubby and compact.



Bred: 1968 by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV
Introduced: New Zealand by McGredy Roses International
Fragrance: Mild
Height: 36 inches
Parentage: Paddy McGredy x (Mme Leon Cuny x Columbine)

My idea for roses in my lifetime is that the gardener may order any colour he wants in any form -- as a bush rose, as a climber, or as a miniature. I would do away with the terms 'hybrid tea' and 'floribunda'. Instead I would classify roses according to use -- for house decoration, for garden display, for exhibition, for climbing or rambling, for ground cover, for greenhouses..."
A Family of Roses, by Sam McGredy and Sean Jennett

Wouldn’t that be great if we could order roses like that.



These are from the Garden Party in Greenwich I attended on the weekend. The lion planter was made of cement and had the nice kind of bronzy grass planted in his head.

4 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Congratulations on the review! This is a stunning photo. Thanks for the essay, too!

Misti said...

Wow. That is a fantastic photo and rose. The red is stunning! Most red's are more of a maroon, but this is toe polish red. And the white underneath. Wow!!! I'm going to keep on dreaming about roses now.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! I enjoyed this entry :) My Mom used to grow red roses, but I've never had much luck with them.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

sandy, thanks.

misti, hi there. You are right it was a very nice color.

sue, Glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes when a certain type of plant doesn't work for me a give it another try after awhile. Mr. Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial are two pretty dependable reds. One of favorites is Opening Night also a pretty easy rose. Or you can just buy them at the florist or supermarket, sometimes that's easier.