Monday, September 03, 2007

Red Zinnias





Red Zinnias

Happy Labor Day to all the Americans out there, For the rest I wish you had a holiday, too. Here are a couple of Red Zinnias from the Staten Island Botanical Garden. The weren't label as to cultivar but they were one of the tall types. I am always a little jealous when I see people growing nice Zinnias. Mine always end stunted, moldy and chewed up.
I posted about ‘Zowie Yellow Flame’ Zinnia here:
here:



You can see I was lamenting about the same cultural problems. I think they are a great flower and this red one was a standout in a sea of green foliage.

Not only did I take a lot of pictures at the garden but was snapping all the way to the garden and back. I have a lot of pictures to go through. I was going to go out and shoot some more but that will just contribute to the backlog. Maybe I will go for a walk with my dog instead. So here is a picture from Manhattan. I didn’t know this building was a landmark but the architecture was striking so it doesn’t surprise me. It is the old Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank and is now owned by the City of New York. If you want a little more info click here:


Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank
Circa: 1910
Address: Chambers St., Manhattan. SoHo district
Architecture: Beaux-Arts and Art Nouveau

And finally here is a picture of the huge Ferry sign at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal in Manhattan. The whole sign actually says ‘Staten Island Ferry’ but was impossible to take in with the lens I was using.

5 comments:

dot said...

First of all, I love zinnas! I love the ferry sign and the angle at which you took the bank building. Just scrolling up and down on the bank building was a fun trip. lol. I enjoyed all of your pictures today!!

david mcmahon said...

I've never grown zinnias - but there's always a first time.

Love the ferry sign .....

Digital Flower Pictures said...

dot, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. NYC has so many photo op's that I am thinking of spending a B&W weekend there.

david,

I am not sure how Zinnias would do where you live but with all the different kinds and colors you should give them a try. Thanks for the comment on the Ferry picture. I just turned around and the light and angle were right so it would have been hard to miss. Coming from a great photog like you it means a lot.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I just hopped over from Mark Eccelston's blog. LOVE the close-up of the red zinnia. It is so rich! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks, Cindy