Friday, September 07, 2007

Miscellaneous Water Gardens


Miscellaneous Water Gardens

I saw some great water gardens this summer. I will leave it up to your imagination to think where these were taken. If you look closely at the Water Lily there was a Bee flying around.



Just a short post as I have to leave early for work. I have a couple of early meetings and a few things that I have to take care of before the weekend. I am tired already and will have to take a nap when I get home. I am trying to think of something to do this weekend other than go to the NYBG or Wave Hill. I really enjoyed my trip to Staten Island but don’t want to make that journey. I will probably figure something out.



I wanted to add we had a big anthrax scare in my little city. When I got home from work the other day there was a message from the Health Department (those broadcast kind) that they were investigating an Anthrax discovery across town. A road here in town, a main one, has been closed for a couple of days. The phone call told me I had nothing to worry about (yeah right).

I have been doing a lot watering. The last rain we got here was .02 inches on August 21st. I won't use the 'D' word that would be an insult to the people that are really having drought problems (oops used the word anyway). It is just an extended dry spell but the plants are beginning to suffer. I spent an day and a half this week patching up some of the irrigation systems I have. Any weakness in the systems become painfully apparent in times like this.

5 comments:

kml said...

The Water Lily is gorgeous - it looks to lit from the center. So lovely!!

AVCr8teur said...

The blue Water Lily is just lovely with the contrasing yellow center and the green background. The bee is a nice touch. How did you manage that? :P

Ki said...

The water lily glows with an inner light. What an outstanding specimen. Our water lettuce (Pistia) would start out great but was always infested with aphids by mid summer and looked scuzzy. Our water lilies would suffer the same fate. I thought it was because the leaves would touch the sides of the pond enabling ants to bring the aphid on board but it has happened even if the plants were kept surrounded by water so the aphids either flew on the plants or were windblown. Trouble is how do you get rid of the infestation? You can't use an insecticide because it would kill the fish.
The giant water lilies look great in the large pond. I don't think two would fit in my small pond, maybe not even one.
Have had the hose out too for quite a while now. I water one half of the yard one day and the other half the next. Even then I notice plant wilt.

mrsnesbitt said...

I have a miniature water lilly which isn't doing very well. Need to look into this!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

kml, thanks. What you don't see is the photographer laying on his stomach hanging half over the pond trying to capture the glow with too short a lens, 60mm. You have probably been there before!

av, The bee was just lucky.

Ki,
Water plant cultivation can be quite frustrating sometimes, especially in a small pond. All I can think of to help is maybe a strong jet of water to try and knock the aphids off.

Even the sprinklers aren't keeping up. You might benefit from T.S. Gabrielle but it suppose to miss us here in Connecticut.