Friday, September 14, 2007

Florist Mum


Florist Mum

I took this at the nursery the other day. I must say it brought some memories. When I was growing up my parents had a large greenhouse/nursery operation. We had several glass houses that were used to raise seasonal crops including, geraniums, Easter lilies, Poinsettias and Chrysanthemums. I still to this day have trouble smelling Geraniums. Often times I would be drafted into service for propagating, watering, pinching and even helping to deliver the plants. I am not sure I would ever want to work on the production side of things again. I am much happier planting and trying to grow the stuff. This mum was about 4 to 5 inches across.

Bougainvillea 'White Madonna'

I took this Bougainvillea shot at the same nursery. I envy all the gardeners that can grow this shrub outdoors. We have one in the Conservatory at work and it is nice during February when it blooms the heaviest. The rest of the year it looks like a refugee and it is tucked in the back in one of the corners. I thought this cultivar (B. 'White Madonna') was unusual as it is a very understated color. Quite attractive in my mind and I think it would nice combined with the more electric colors.

I am working in upstate New York today. It is about a 2 hour drive from here. The ride up there isn’t bad but I am not looking forward to the return trip in Friday night traffic.

7 comments:

kml said...

I love the swirls in the Mum - it creates the feeling of action in this macro stillife. Excellent!!

dot said...

I love the mum swirls also. Absolutely beautiful! I usually buy a pot every fall and plant them in the yard. Something always happens. Last year I think I planted 3 or 4 and the dog dug them up.

Anonymous said...

Mum's the word, er... photo. Beautiful.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hey kml, I guess it does have a bit of swirl to it.

dot, those dang dogs! Someday I am going to have a dog that respects my work in the garden and doesn't try to destroy it. Not like the two ruffians I have now.

Chewy, I get it. thanks for stopping by.

david mcmahon said...

Beautiful shots, Chris.

I've never seen bougainvillea that colour. My Dad used to have a Mary Palmer bougainvillea at home.

And the yellow swirls - wow! Looks like one of those magic eye pictures.

Such a pleasure to visit this blog.

Keep smiling

David

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you. I thought the color on the bougainvillea was very catchy. Thanks for the kind words.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Very Beautiful

Florist website