Friday, September 28, 2007

'White Bomb' Chrysanthemum




Chrysanthemum weyrichii 'White Bomb'
(kris-AN-the-mum) (wey-RIK-ee-eye)
Synonyms: Dendranthema weyrichii, Leucanthemum weyrichii

In the category of you learn something new every I thought I discovered a new (new to me) plant called Dendrathema. After a little a research I found out that it is a botanical synonym for Chrysanthemum. These were two named cultivars I saw at the Vanderbilt Estate. I decided to try and find out about botanical synonyms and without getting too scientific found that it is a term used when plants have more than one Botanical name. The study of taxonomy can get a little complicated but generally the basionym is the first name ever given to a plant and all others are considered botanical synonyms. The basionym will accompany the plant even if it is reclassified in a new genus. Apparently the Dendrathemas started out as Chrysanthemums and were moved to the new name and back again, so now officially they are Chrysanthemums.

Chrysanthemum weyrichii 'White Bomb' is a perennial Chrysanthemum that is a little different than the Hardy Mums you buy at the grocery store. More like the Sheffield and Korean types of Chrysanthemum. It is hardy to Zone 4 and has a more refined daisy like flower than the other type of mums. ‘White Bomb’ is dwarf variety that only gets up to 10-12 inches. I found that it made a beautiful little clump that looked good along the edge of the perennial area.

Chrysanthemum x rubellum 'Clara Curtis'

This second photo is Chrysanthemum x rubellum 'Clara Curtis'. I read that it will tolerate a little more shade than most Chrysanthemums. It was almost double the height of ‘White Bomb’ and very free flowering. The color was beautiful and the plants were almost acting like a groundcover. This plant apparently needs pinching back or shearing a couple of times during the year to keep it from being floppy.

Both of these would be worth having in the border. Add in a few Asters and Japanese Anemones and you will have a good display for this time of year.

I have wanted to do a post on the houses I saw in Hyde Park last weekend. I just haven’t found the time to put it together yet. If you want information on the Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site click here .

The Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park, New York. View from the South Lawn.

There is a good history of the family on the history link.

Column detail from the West Portico.

Yesterday was my 400th post and I didn't even realize it, though I am not big on that sort of thing. Sure has been a great experience.

5 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for this insight! I'm always amazed at the types of mum that are out there. It's nice to see them growing freely. It cracks me up when I get them at the grocery market and what seemed to be round is squared off because it was smooshed up against so many kin for so long. The challenge is to get them back to normal before winter takes them down!

The second photo reminded me of the color that asters turn as they age. Very beautiful.

Thanks for the architectural shots, too. I wonder what that goat is thinking.

Annie in Austin said...

Congratulations on number 400, Chris - that's an accomplishment!

I like the rather spooky looking column photo, too - is the sculpture really just a disembodied head? Like John the Baptist or something along that line?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

david mcmahon said...

Beautiful shots, Chris.

Is there a real distincion between daisies and crysanthemums?

ericat said...

Lovely detail on your photos. sharp focus. What I liked most was the pronunciation of the names. There are some names I am going to try to find on the www. One is Kalanchoe. That always bothered me. First I am going to enjoy some more of your photos.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Sandy, when I worked at a nursery years ago they used to sell 1000's of Hardy Mums. We refered to them as Hardly Mums.

Annie, Hi there. 400 didn't seem that bad. The head is stuck against the wall. I thought 'John the Baptist' too.

Mr. Mcmahon, nice to see you. For the scientific breakdown you would have to ask a botanist. Though I do know the two are related as they are both in the Aster Family because they have rayed florets. From a gardener's point of view the main thing is they bloom at completely different times of the year. The type of mums the post is about are much closer looking and acting to daisies than Chrysanthemums.

ericat, hi there. Look around as much as you want we are open 24/7/365. If you break something you have to buy it

(just kidding)

If you didn't find it, Kalanchoe is pronounced (kal-un-KOH-ee).