Thursday, September 13, 2007

Spider Flower (Cleome hassleriana)

Spider Flower
Cleome hassleriana
(klee-OH-me) (hass-ler-ee-AH-na)
Synonyms: Spider Legs, Grandfather's Whiskers

This first picture is an abstract of a Cleome flower. Since it is an abstract it did go through some modification in Photoshop. This isn’t my favorite flower. I guess I am kind of neutral about this plant. At one time after mulching a large planting several sprouted and for years continued to self seed (which this plant does very well). Finally about two years ago no more came back and I was a little disappointed. I might have to break down and buy some next year to start the patch again. Since it is a tall annual with not much on the bottom it is best suited for the back of the border or in mass plantings. Beware of the smell for it is not pleasant. Kind of a weak skunk smell to my nose so you won’t want to plant them by the front door. There are several cultivars and colors available, these do not come true from seed however. I would like to try the Dwarf Spider Flower sometime (Cleome serrulata 'Solo'), I have only read about it.

Buds of the white flowered form


These were taken at the Queens Botanical Garden. The fence outside the Senior Garden had a mixture of some interesting and odd stuff (something that would be appealing to me). It reminded so much of something you would see along side a farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere. So kudos to the gardeners for planting a border like that in the middle of Queens.

3 comments:

dot said...

Someone gave me some Cleome seeds a few years ago but they didn't come up. I probably didn't plant them in a good place. Your pictures are alway A-1!

Mike said...

Hi there, I've given you a "photo genius award" for all your stunning photos. Check over at my blog for details. :)

Digital Flower Pictures said...

dot,
I think you should try a few started plants to get a patch going. They like a little bit of moisture so remember that.

mike, thanks! I will check it out tonight. I am in a big rush right now.