Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sweet Alyssum

Sweet Alyssum
Lobularia maritima
(lob-yoo-LAR-ee-uh) (muh-RIT-tim-muh)

Last year we grew some patches of white and purple Sweet Alyssum from seed. It is a really easy plant to grow directly seeded in the garden. You need to get it on the ground early so it has time to develop and flower before the heat sets in. I didn’t plant any this year but got a lot from last year’s crop self seeding. They must have mixed since the plants were a light purple with a little white mixed in. I think I will order some more seed this winter to plant in the spring just to keep it going.

This mum was sold as ‘premium’ and its color and flower are a little different. I was disappointed that it just had a generic tag. The colors are very fall like and we used them in some of the annual containers that had gone by. I still need a few mums on Monday so wish me luck as I don’t think anyone will have any that are not blown out.