Wednesday, August 23, 2006




Desert Sky Chinese Plumbago
Ceratostigma willmottianum 'Palmgold'
(ser-uh-toh-STIG-muh) (wil-mot-ee-AH-num)

This is another gold foliage accent plant I saw on my weekend visit to Wave Hill. It was in a container and I forget what else was planted with. I think that is because this plant is so intriguing that it overshadowed the other plants. I did a little research into this plant and see it is a 2001 introduction by the British Palmstead Nursery. It is rated for USDA Zones 8-10. Most of the nursery catalogs say that ‘with protection’ it can go colder. That always makes me a little worried here in Connecticut. Our winters are way too unpredictable. I will have to ask at Wave Hill if they take it inside during the winter.

This plants appearance is stunning and sensational. I have grown Leadwort (Ceratostigma plumbaginoides) and found it to be a great groundcover. A little finicky to get going but once it does it is easy to grow. I do notice that it doesn’t emerge very early; it is one of those plants that you think is dead but later ends up looking pretty good. Like today’s featured flower it is also a wonderful shade of blue.

I almost finished the sod job today. It is a lot of work but looks nice when finished. The sod was 90% Kentucky Bluegrass (Poa pratensis) and looked great. I have never seen almost pure Bluegrass and I see that a lot of stems do have a bluish cast to them. Since it is so dry here I am going to have to water it everyday.

No comments: