Sunday, August 13, 2006




Korean Archangel
Angelica gigas
(an-JEL-ee-kuh) (JY-gas)

Eastern Yellow Jacket
Vespula maculifrons

Boy was I glad when I saw one of these sprouting up this year. Normally I have had several in the back of one of the perennial borders but this year only one came back. It is an interesting plant that you don’t see too often. The foliage and buds are great and the flower is an odd color and shape. It is truly a “what is that?” type of plant. I will carefully collect the seed and spread it in the area that I want it to grow. If you don’t like bees then don’t plant this one. It is probably one of the most attractive flowers to them. You can literally have clouds of bees with a big group of flowers.

There are about 50 species of tall biennial and perennial herbs in the genus. They are part of the Parsley family. Many of the species have been cultivated since ancient times and have medicinal properties and have been used as a flavoring agent.

No comments: