Thursday, June 05, 2008

Wild Geranium 'Espresso'


Wild Geranium
Geranium maculatum 'Espresso'
(jer-AY-nee-um) (mak-yuh-LAH-tum)
Synonyms: Wild Cranesbill, Spotted Geranium

This was a new variety to me and I have to say that I like it. The flower is the typical delicate beauty of the species but I think the foliage is probably the reason to grow this plant. It is dark and very nicely detailed. This cultivar was developed by North Creek Nursery (Landenberg, Pennsylvania ) from a plant they found in the woods. They claim that it keeps its foliage color throughout the summer, which sure would be nice.

Wild Cranesbill is a clump forming perennial that is easy to grow. I usually locate them in part shade or the woodland garden but they can also make a nice addition to the border. They do like some moisture to look their best. If they start looking a little ragged I lightly shear them to get some new growth. I am going to try a few ‘Espresso’ and see how they do. Maybe then I can capture the beauty of the foliage.


Speaking of foliage here is a Sweet Potato Vine that I had never seen before. Looks good as I am getting a little tired of the gold or black colored ones.

2 comments:

i beati said...

even the shadows are there on that small bloom !!marvelous sandy

ChrisJ said...

Beautiful periwinkle blue! And the leaves are so crisp, clean and clear.