Friday, March 18, 2011

Delphinium


Delphinium
Delphinium elatum
(del-FIN-ee-um) (el-AH-tum)
Synonyms: Larkspur

These pretty blue Delphiniums are just a memory now but they were beautiful in their day. Always a star of the border Delphiniums never really disappoint me. They can be a little messy and need staking but it is well worth it. Delphiniums seem to be biennial in my garden with just a few stragglers coming back the following year and I have learned to accept them for that.

Today we woke up to a nice day here. A hint of spring is in the air and temperatures are forecast to rise to the highest level since last October.

4 comments:

Rose said...

I've ordered a few delphiniums for this spring--I hope mine look as good as yours!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I planted some Delphinium in my Virginia garden and I guess the voles got them. Most upsetting. Will try some here, I love the blues and violets of some varieties.

Tabitha Blue said...

Very beautiful. Can't wait to see my flowers blooming soon.

Not So Simply Single said...

Gorgeous!

I need to come to your house !

Lisa