Friday, March 04, 2011

Lady's Slipper Orchids


Paphiopedilum Orchid
Paphiopedilum leeanum
(paf-ee-oh-PED-ih-lum)
Synonyms: Lady's Slipper Orchid, Venus Slipper Orchids

This winter is getting a little long as far as having enough flower pictures to keep this blog going. Deep in the archives I found this shot of Paphiopedilum Orchids that was taken in Hawaii. These Orchids look exotic but they are actually easy to grow. This particular species is a hybrid of P. insigne and P. spicerianum and was first registered in Britain in 1884. It used to be very popular but is a little rare now. These were growing outside on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I got my first email of the season asking we come by and try and straighten out someone’s garden. The snow caused a lot of damage to shrubs but seems to have kept the perennials and smaller plants nice and toasty over the winter. I can finally see the grass of my front lawn but forget the back yard as there is still a lot of snow back there. I think I read we got over 84 inches, which is a new record for Connecticut.

3 comments:

Linda said...

This is beautiful!!

Cloudia said...

Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

SandyCarlson said...

The phrase "actually easy to grow" actually fills me with hope.

Beautiful photo.